Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wednesday - Day 3

Well, I made it to day 3. I walked into the room last night to four guys snoring, grabbed my stuff and walked back to the office. I stayed there by myself for one night. I think I am going to have visitors tonight though - we'll see. 

It is 1:00 right now - nap time for the kids. We did the same stuff this morning, breakfast, assembly time, crafts and water park. It started raining during the last part of the water park. I was going to stay dry today and just take video but this one girl came up from behind (very sneaky) and got me. You will her in some of the photos. She has burns on her face so she's hard to miss. What is funny though is even if she didn't she would be hard to miss. She always has a smile. I was sitting down last night (or this morning - lost track of assemblies) and she came over and just sat up against me and hugged me and stayed with me for a while. Her buddy is a "slightly" older lady than me. Very nice. It took everything that I had to hold back the tears. I just sat there with my arm around her rubbing her arm. 

Oh, before I forget. The other night when the "trains" went through I reached into my bag and pulled out my ipod. I hit play and "Orphans of God" came on. God is definitely here in all of this.

I was able to have a devotional time with Steve, Chris, and Katie this morning before the kids came down. It was more or less about the expectations that we put on others and how we are all imperfect and that God is the only one that we can fully rely on. 

Forgive me if my journals have changed from Awesome to Sad stories or about my breaking heart. I do not have time to journal by hand and on the computer and I want to make sure that I remember everything. You will probably hear a lot more about my breaking heart just because that it how I am feeling but do not mistake that for me not having and awesome time with these children. I am still having a blast and making a fool of myself. I feel like Scott when new people are introduced on Sunday. I am shouting and trying to help lead. When I come back next year I plan to do so as more of staff than buddy. I just love trying to meet everyone.

I could actually see doing something like this full time. I just feel like I am doing exactly what God wants me to do. I don't know if there has ever been a time in my life that I can say that 100%. Not a thing here is about me. You could take this as a sign if you want but one of the games that we played the first day with the translators was to run outside and find something that you can bring back that would describe you. We both had the hardest time and I almost said forget it and then just before I walked through the door I saw a piece of the clear plastic wrapper from a cigarette box. I know - you are all saying WHAT? I saw this and almost instantly thought about us as christians an how that is how we should be. Just like the clear plastic, that is how our lives should be. I want to be transparent - nothing fake. 

I have left this next part for last. At craft time I went to ask D. or C. what the boundaries are for words that we can and cannot use. Just before I asked Katie came up and said that one of the girl buddies was having a problem with a boy and if someone could help. D. was going to do it and then stopped and asked if I would, that the boys sometimes do better with "men". That was his nice was of calling me old. (haha D.) Oh D. is David and C. is Christy. So anyway, I went out and found out that one of the boys was upset with someone else there and wanted to fight with him. He was crying though which was confusing. Well, instinctively as a dad I just picked him up and hugged him almost trying to rock him. He was not receptive at all, scratching and trying to bite. I found out that he is also developmentally challenged.  This went on for about 10 or 15 minutes. It reminded me of a previous time in China which I will not go into detail. Anyway, Katie and I and the buddy, Pam, prayed for him right there. After praying I though about Andrew and asked if they could go get him. Andrew of course came out and within 30 seconds he had the boy out in the street kicking a small ball and playing. The guy is amazing. God has taught me so much by putting him across my path. He is the kindest person I think I have ever met. God has BIG plans for this guy. I went over to talk to Steve about it. He was talking to the number two guy from the univ. here and introduced me. Steve proceeded to tell him that Andrew would be worth any amount of money to have at his univ. Who knows what God will do. God gives special gifts to special people. This is truly a very special person. Sorry, more crying. I have to tell you that I never thought I would meet God so much in this place. 

I will try and post some more photos now, captions and vids tonight. I'm off to the cold pool. Talk to you all later tonight.
Love, Bill


No comments: