Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 1 - July 24th

It's about 8:00 am and we are on the flight to EWR. We were able (Pete) to get exit row seating for this flight. I have the whole row (3 seats) to myself so I can stetch out. It was an early morning - Pete called at 2:30 am to let me know that the flight from TPA to EWR was cancelled and we could either fly to EWR from MCO (Orlando) or wait until tomorrow. I opted for MCO. Daniel (Debbie's brother) was a good sport. Debbie called him to see if he would be willing to drive me over to Orlando. I can always count on him to help out with the hard tasks.


All the girls slept through everything, the phone calls, the noise, the dogs... as I tried to get ready to leave for the airport by 4:30 am. My Mom came over to wish me a safe trip (or try and talk me out of going one more time). She is just being a Mom.


Pete was able to get us on the same flight to PEK (Beijing) with the same bulk head seats that we had already setup. We should have plenty of leg room for the long 13 our flight. It will be really weird for me to go on this trip without the rest of the family. I will miss them a lot.


Jadyn brought me to tears last night. We were talking (or she was talking to me) while I was packing for the third time about the kids at the camp and all of the stuff that I am going to do with them like swimming, etc... Then all of a sudden she took off - she came back a minute later with a favorite book of hers (it has lions which she is really into right now) and said that I could bring the book with me to read to the kids. It just showed me the sweet heart that she has along with showing me how much she values the night time stories that I will have to admit are hard to do some nights. (Dads take a lesson from this). I just love her so much and will miss her a lot.


All of the girls gave me 9 hugs last night for the 9 days that I will be away. Abby needed a few extra - that's Abby. I read the Cat in the hat to Abby and Jadyn last night and then they read The foot book to me.  They take turns reading each page. 


Then there's Tiff. She is at those teenage years now. I know she will miss me and I will miss her terribly. I cannot believe how much she has grown over the years. We didn't read any books but she helped me so much by picking up last minute things for the trip and the orphans over there. Hopefully she will be able to go next year.


Well, Debbie was a trooper this morning for getting up with me and getting everything ready and calling Daniel. This will probably be the hardest on her. I will be praying for her every day that God would help her with the kids and the house (and let's not forget about the dogs). I love her so much and thank God for her every day.


I brought two bags with me totaling about 75 lbs. They are stuffed with items for the kids and the camp. We are only allowed 44 lbs. total when traveling in China so please pray that we will not have any problems with that.


I also wanted to thank Tim, Jack and Pastor D for calling and emailing. I appreciate the support and prayers. I am so glad to be a part of a church that has strong Godly men that are committed and have a love for the Lord.


I guess I will sign off for now. Debbie, Tiffani, Abby and Jadyn - I Love You... (you too Mom)

No comments: