Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tuesday Day 2

Well, it is 11:30 pm. I just got to chat with Debbie online for an hour. I am not sure that I can stay up late enough to blog now. I think I will put more detail in tomorrow.

After the water park we had lunch, naps and then off to the pool. I think that is where I left off. I told Debbie already that I found out one of my buddies does have a Chinese name and it is Billy. Kind of funny. This girl Kate has a buddy named Katie also, which happens to be the one that has the translator, Sarah, that Bill has a little crush on. He is 11 and I think she is 22? She is very nice about it all. She has been looking out for him like an older sister.

So we went to the pool. I got a few more photos and videos. Then we had "family" time and then dinner. Dinner was good. they had brown noodles, white rice and a fried chicken. Andrew says I am good with the chopsticks - no forks here. After the dinner we did the assembly for singing an a skit which I was a part of. It was fun. The songs are semi-church related but the words are slightly altered since we are not allowed to tell the kids about God. What is funny is that the volunteers testified tonight that several of their kids say they are Christians. Billy was singing a song during craft time and then next thing I new Andrew was singing it with him (in chinese). It was a "faith" song. I tried to sing in Chinese God is so good but I could not remember the words correctly. Hopefully typing all of this wont get my blog blocked.

I learned that the pool shower is the best on campus and to bring shampoo with you and do the shower there. We are sweating all day so there is no reason to really worry about being clean and showering a lot. Bug spray or sun block on all day. We are so spoiled as Americans. These kids literally think of this place as Disney World - I think of it more like a Super 8. Kids have asked, what can I do to come here to school. Someone is actually investigating that.

Samples of songs at assembly time are Deep and wide, if your happy and you know it, head an shoulders knees and toes, etc... they are silly songs but the kids love them. Some of the craft times are coloring which many of the kids are very creative with. there are older girls (13-16) that are just amazing. There is one in-particular that the "world" would not consider pretty but if you ask me she is one of the most beautiful girls here. I am actually tearing up as I type this just thinking about her and some of the other girls. She is 15? I would take her home today if I could along with a couple others. They all have such sweet spirits and it is breaking my heart to type this about them knowing that they are going to finish their growing years in an orphanage and then just send out into the streets. she will draw pictures during craft time and sometimes cover over it in a protective manner. I do not think that they open up and "latch" on as easily as the smaller kids and boys. My goal is to find out more information about her and several other children before I leave.  Oh yeah, I think I am going to need to do a fundraiser for all of the kids that I want to bring home.

Billy is an amazing boy. He has started to speak to me in English (partially). He is so eager to learn so that he can get a job and a house (leaving the orphanage before 18). The said part is that the translator did not believe it was possible - how sad... I am going to make sure that he NEVER relays that message to this boy. What a terrible thing to say. The exact opposite of the Hope that we are trying to bring at this "Bring Me Hope" camp. I probably would bring him home too even though it would be difficult but I truly believe that he will do just fine. I would venture to say that he is the smartest boy here at camp. I nominated him this week for a Kindness award, which he won. I saw him doing so many kind things for the other kids from his place. Giving his last piece of chicken or helping kids find their translators, that kind of stuff.

Forgive me if I start to repeat things. I am forgetting what I typed (or what day it is). I am truly having a blast. I wish we could all be put into a situation like this just once in our lives. The best part for me is that I have been able to act like a complete fool around people that I don't know. I really shouldn't say that I don't know them though. I think every one of them knows who I am because of being on the board (which they had announced). I am still waiting for my sign that I can hang on my chest so that everyone treats me special and shares their rations.... This is tied to a joke from sunday night that I will post later. I have met several people that I was able to instantly befriend. Just amazing when you join a group of people from around the world for one purpose. 

Okay, it is midnight now. I think I will stop. Just continue the prayers for me and Pete and especially these children. Actually even more than that, the plan that God has for these children's lives. As I have already said, I would take several of them home in a seconds notice. This is something that I am not sure could really happen, even over time, but it is possible that God is sill working my family and what he wants it to be. How do you explain to someone, or at least someone who has never had children, how you can fall in love with a child in a day without hardly any interaction. I can honestly say there are at least two already that this has happened to with me. Please pray hard for me about this.


Thank you and I love you all.
Bill

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Bill,
I knew you would come to camp and then we'd be adding to the family. You know how I feel. I wish you could bring them home with you. I'm so glad you are having a good time with the kids. And I can't wait to hear about this joke about a sign around your neck. I hope you have slept well. I can't wait to hear about your day. We love you & miss you. We are so proud of you. Talk to you soon.
Love,
Deb

Tigger said...

Bill,

You and Pete are in our prayers. It looks like the kids are having a great time! Be safe and eat, eat, eat.

See you soon.

Brooke, Jeff and Emma

Bill said...

Hey Deb, I was just talking to Pete about it. I really wish I could take some (or a least one) of these girls home. It is breaking my heart that she is over age. I told Pete about you asking what would it take for some of these kids and I just told him "an act of God". With God all things are possible so I guess you never know.