Sunday, July 27, 2008

We Made it to ZhengZhou

Hi Everyone. We made it to Zhengzhou. The flight was "okay". The a/c was not working until we got up in the air. I think there was a small riot on the plane about the a/c but nobody could speak english so we are not really sure. Everything went smooth at the airport, security and all - at least for me. I think Pete got strip searched.

David was at the airport to pick us up. He was towering over the locals waiting for people so he was easy to spot. It was about a 30 minute drive to the campus. I have to tell you without being negative at all that the campus does not look exactly like the website. The actual university is 10 years old but there are several parts that are brand new. We are staying in a part that is being refurbished. There is a restaurant down stairs that we can eat at during the week or we can have the cafeteria food. It has been suggested to go to the restaurant. The cafeteria is very Chinese. I actually had a club sandwich when we got here for dinner.

There is already a big group here - about 40 volunteers for the week. Christy, Patti and Steve K are here. I was able to talk to all of them about how the week has been so far. I was also able to meet Bethany who I have talked to for a year now but never met face to face.

The room is a dorm room. Tonight we have 11 people in one room but tomorrow will be better. I think we have the kids stay in the room with us. We have a meeting tomorrow morning at 7:30 downstairs and then the children will get here at noon. There are 80 kids coming this week. Several will have special needs such as down syndrome and learning disorders. I was told that the first week was a smaller group but an awesome one. I met one of the translators who accepted the Lord last year at a camp. Amazing things are happening here - Praise the Lord.

I will try and add some photos to the site and then fill you all in more tomorrow afternoon or night which will be Monday morning for everyone. Thank you, thank you, thank you again or all of your prayers. Everything has still gone smooth.

Love you all,
Bill

PS - Debbie, I love you and tell the girls that I love them. I might actually be able to get the iChat to work. Christy was able to get hers to work once.



4 comments:

Debbie said...

We're so glad you made it safely. We miss you. The girls & I are doing fine. We're trying to keep busy. Try to help the kids have the time of their lives. I can't wait to hear about your Monday. I hope you are able to sleep tonight. I love you.
Deb

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill! We've been following your blog while in China. Sounds and looks like you are having a blast. We are praying for your save travels and return home. Enjoy your time in China and journal every moment.

The Rhodens

Anonymous said...

Good morning Bill-well at least that is what it is here. It almost does not seem real that you are in China. I am so proud of you and love you so much and I know that this camp will be life changing for you as well as the adorable children coming to camp. I miss you and so does your family
very much.
Enjoy every minute.
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Know that the Horner Family is following your trip to China. We are praying for you and Pete. Now we will especially pray for your health! We thank you for your sacrifice in giving these children a week they will never forget.

Pam