Friday, August 10, 2012

Thursday and Friday...

Sorry all for the big gap in posts. It has been hard to find the time to get on and type anything. I really haven't had enough time to gather my thoughts. We are sitting in the hotel room right now with 2-1/2 hours left until we check out and head for the airport to go to Guangzhuo. They are wired and cannot wait to get on the airplane. I think it is 2 hours or less of a flight (I hope). I also just checked our long flight home and there are still some empty seats so maybe we will get lucky. I just saw though that the flight is 15 hours and 30 minutes. I did not realize it was that long. I think a double shot of melatonin is in order.

So, Thursday, let me think. I know that we got up, showered and had breakfast just like every other day. I get the same french toast, some "buttered" potatoes and one egg. If I am lucky I get to drink my drink before one of the girls takes it. They found Lotus root the other day - eh? That isn't something I will become a fan of. I can say this, they clean their plates every day.

We met Shelly downstairs to go to a local mall and walmart. We were supposed to go on a tour but it was raining, heavily, as she put it. She obviously has never seen a Florida storm. This walmart was actually a pretty small one but Debbie was able to find a flat iron. We broke the one she brought on the first day. We also got a "unique" outfit for Hope. She picked it out or Maggie picked it out for her, couldn't really tell. We were also able to get some books and something special for Abby and Jadyn. The mall was kind of a bust though. It was a very high end one with nothing but adult clothing, nothing for kids or even teens. We went out onto the walking street to this Balabala store where they were finally able to find some clothes. Maggie will only wear dresses and Hope, well, not so much but we were surprised, she did pick out one dress.

We headed back to the hotel around noon and our guide walked me ten miles to this "close" Pizza hut. Ok, maybe it was only a half mile but in China if you had to walk for your job I think they would consider it hazard pay. I almost lost my toes a couple times. Crossing the street is probably a challenge they could put on Survivor. I had to wait about 20 minutes for the pizza so Shelly took me into another high end mall to see what it was like. I can say this, the malls here are very nice and extremely expensive. There was really nothing that I would be interested in. I went ahead and let Shelly get back to her job and walked back to the hotel by myself. I'm waiting for my award that I made it back, Alive. The pizza went over half and half. Hope liked it but Maggie didn't. I believe we took another nap from around 1:30 until 4:40. That was nice. As much as I wanted to blog during that time I (we) really needed the rest.

After we got up I took Maggie again down to the store to get some snacks and dinner. She is still pretty good but somehow gets me to get at least one thing that I would rather not get. She picked out her dinner and Hopes. She didn't like hers though. I don't think she really reads the package. She won a scratch off ticket that they give you when checking out (when you spend enough) and she won $5 yuan. We took it with us to use at checkout but she had to remind me that "she" won it, not us, so she was going to get something with it. She picked out some skittles which she didn't remember that she bought by the time we got back to the room. They are hidden in my backpack. So we all ate, watched who knows what on TV and then off to bed by around 9:00, I think. I really cannot remember anymore. Actually there is a show called "Baby GO!". It is kind of like Wipe out but for kids. They seem to like it. Oh, did I leave out how they like me to carry them around the room ALL THE TIME! They are reminding me of my age rather quickly. It's strange because they are 12 and 13 but sometimes act like the are  6 or 7 but they definitely do not weigh the same as 6 year olds. They have gotten a lot closer to us. We get lots of hugs and they will let us hold their hand when walking around. We also get a lot of mischief from someone at the same time. Everything, EVERYTHING, is a joke. It is fun, sometimes.

Sleeping goes well. I think we made it until 7:00 this morning and then, you guessed it, breakfast - french toast, potatoes and an egg. It kind of makes me feel like someone at our church and their lunch routine (you know who you are, hahaha). After lunch we came back to the room and finished packing. Mags helped some with this. We told Hope that we were leaving for the airplane and she ran around looking for her socks and shoes. I had to stop her and let her know we weren't going until 5:00. She ran over, got Debbies watched, looked at the time and then sighed. It was only 10:00. That was funny.

For lunch I thought we could use up some time and go to the restaurant one last time. Yeah, that was the longest 20 minutes I ever spent. Someone does not do well in restaurants. (I know, it sounds like I keep picking on her. I'm really not. She just wears us out, mentally and physically.) No, I do not plan on sharing my blog with them anytime soon. So we headed back to the room to "try" and take naps thinking that would help the time pass. Nope, they are just too excited to leave. It's funny, I guess, how eager they are to get on a plane and leave. I know they were happy where they were but they are just as ready to leave and come home with us. I hope that lasts. (Hey D, I think all of the "hopes" were just preparation for us on how many times a day we were going to say her name).

So that brings us to now. It is 3:01, not that I am counting, and we are all ready to go. We plan on trying to see about getting adjoining rooms in Guangzhou if possible if only to be able to have two bathrooms. You definitely have to be prepared cause you only get about 30 seconds. Sorry, TMI.

Ok, the entertainment is being beckoned. Love you all! See you real soon (Mickey reference). !!!!

No comments: