Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wednesday Afternoon....

I am sitting in the room right now, nap time, and thought I would try and jot down a few words. I do not have much time since we will be headed to the pool in about 20 minutes. Whatever I do not get to I will type up later tonight.

Day started with breakfast as usual. I don’t think I ate much of anything this morning. Breakfast is very different here, more like lunch food. There were some potatoes that were pretty good. After breakfast we did dress up pictures. The kids really have fun with this. There are all types of costumes that they can wear, with glasses and swords, etc.. We get dressed in family groups and take a family photo. My boys didn’t really want to do this for some reason but we somehow convinced them to put a couple things on. This took about an hour and then we have a few minutes of free time and then back for craft time. The kids colored in their books some more. The books are for them to take back to the orphanage as a memory of this trip. Today was a road to the future. The volunteers are supposed to do these as well. Kind of fitting for me today as I feel the road for my life is changing this week. (Deb, the answer to your question would be Jenny).

After this we took a family photo with the camp shirts. One of my boys did not want to wear his because he does not like black. He put it on when we promised he could take it right back off. We also took a group photo. Hopefully we will get a copy of this. From here it was off to lunch. Lunch has been great. They have the best sweet and sour chicken in the World, go figure, huh? That and a plate of rice will get you to dinner without a problem.

So after dinner we went for game time, which started with doing what else but the hoe down show down (or something like that). Anyone with kids that watch Hannah Montana will know what I am talking about. This is funny and you will have to catch the video if I can get it to upload. There is a small segment from this. I have no rhythm so you will not see me dancing. We played the hot potato game only it was called cold potato and we used an ice pack. That was really funny and I almost won. I think the kids were cheating, hahaha, j/k. The kids also get to listen to a story by Mike each day around this time and then it is off for naps.

Pooltime. At 3:00 everyone met downstairs to go to the pool. There is a very nice indoor pool here that they let us use for about 1-1/2 hours each day. The water was a little cold but warmer than the shower that I got. They shut off the hot water at certain times of the day so you need to pay attention to the time if you want a hot one. All of the kids love the water even though none of them can swim. That even goes for most of the translators. It is strange but most of the Chinese people that I have met cannot swim. I guess it is not a big desire but he kids certainly love it. I tried to help Jenny learn to swim. She really wants to know how to do this but they all have to wear life vests which made it a little difficult. There is another girl here at camp that is Albino. I do not know her name but Mike was able to teach her to swim. I think she is probably one of the oldest ones here. I said before 10 or 11 was the oldest but I think she is probably in her teens. It is hard to tell. She was actually playing with the beach balls with David for quite a while. If only we could do this all day....

From pool time we went back to clean up and then they had a scavenger hunt. Matthews team won, go figure. If he can take two grown men and their daughters 1000 miles to an unknown city then of course he would win this game. Next came dinner. We have been trying to get me and Tiff’s families to sit together during meals. I think her two translators have figure this out by now. Jenny is also wanting to spend more time with Tiff but she doesn’t know how to communicate with her so I think it might be frustrating. I can tell that she likes to do things herself. She is definitely a very bright young girl.

After dinner, more singing and dancing.... I think I finally have lost it, this according to Tiff. My mind is Jello. We came in to the room with hannah Montana music going and I tried my best to embarrass Tiffani. I pulled her out in the middle of the room and started dancing with her. I think I succeeded. So we did sing a couple of songs and I almost had Jenny out there on the dance floor. Every time we get to singing and dancing she miraculously has a headache. I think she doesn’t want to look silly if she doesn’t know how to do something. She gave Tiff a cookie treat just before dinner, I think to try and break the ice.

So, next comes the movies. Let me just say that Chinese cartoons are something else. Anyone who thinks Sponge Bob is violent needs to watch one of these shows. Oh my gosh, the opening scene had a cat (police officer) shoot a mouse. The whole movie if kind of like watch the Itchy and Scratchy scenes from the Simpsons. I got to spend some time with MiMi during the movie. She doesn’t open up very easily and has been reserved to me but tonight she let me hold her. Well, I was rewarded with a nice diaper. Oh, and when I say nice I do NOT mean nice. I mean one of the worst diapers you have ever smelt in your life.... No joke. I did have her laughing before the night was out. She is the cutest little thing that you have ever scene. She reminds me of a Chinese Dora. Jenny also wanted to say good night to me and Tiff tonight. It is progress. I really think tomorrow will be good.

----

So David and Morgan are doing good. Steven, the older boy, is a riot. He walks around like a little General barking orders and most of the kids, and adults, listen to him. It is really something. I still do not know the younger boys name but he was a little more difficult today. I think there was some crying and crankiness. It is really to be expected. There whole schedules are thrown out the window for a week and they are definitely not accustomed to this much attention. One thing that is really amazing is that the kids in a Chinese orphanage will take care of their own. You would think there is a survival of the fittest mentally but that really isn’t the case. Many of the kids will come help with the smaller ones. I think this has been a help to D and M for today. Morgan really enjoyed herself in the pool too but I can say that she does not enjoy the movie time and I would agree with her. The good part is that this is a time that you can have alone with the kids, without the translators.

----

Okay, so it is 10:30 pm and I am getting tired and still have to go downstairs to upload this so I am going to stop typing now. Please continue to pray for us. I have not been able to talk to Lilly any more today but I will try tomorrow. Also for Sunny who is the caseworker here and is trying to help me with information. What we would be trying to do would be considered impossible, and when I say we, I mean I would like to do. I am also remember that with God ALL things are possible. So if it is his will nothing can stop it.

Thank you again,
China Team out.

No comments: